At 12:00 Noon, Ambulance 58B-1 was dispatched, to the call address, for a male experiencing dizziness and near lose of consciousness.
Upon arrival, the responding members quickly determined that the patient, a furnace repairman, was suffering from Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
A RAD-57 check of the patient indicated 31% SpCO (C/O in the bloodstream); and a C/O meter check of the furnace area revealed a reading of 556 PPM, C/O.
Engine 237 and Tower Ladder 21 were then requested; in addition to Con Edison, who red tagged the furnace.
Following the administration of oxygen for about 20 minutes, the patient’s SpCO dropped to 20%, at which time he refused transportation to the hospital against medical advice.
All units returned to service.